Author Topic: SteveJ's flying diary 2018  (Read 321 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• Default Group
Re: SteveJ's flying diary 2018
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 22:01:42 PM »
Heol Senni.  17 May 18. Thursday.

Arrived at TO at around 1:30 pm to light conditions with a 'milky' sky. Recognised Arron amongst about 10 visiting Swiss pilots, an Austrian and a few other faces. When the breeze strengthened a tad at <2pm> there was a flurry of activity as everyone TO. The air above the quarry at one point holding about 20 pilots, all trying to muscle in on the rising thermals. A gaggle climbed high to the south of TO and eventually went XC towards Fan Hir; their fate unknown. About an hour later the wind dropped off again, and all the birds landed !
The visiting Swiss were amazed at our scenic 'hills' and seem to be enjoying their UK-wide PGing trip.
Nothing more than 300' ato for me, but challenging to stay aloft in the light conditions.

Offline Steve Jones

• Default Group
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 19:50:49 PM »
S.Sisters.  13 May 18. Sunday.
Arrived at SS just before midday with Dave S to light conditions, with only short thermic cycles coming up the hill every few minutes. These conditions prevailed all afternoon with numerous TO's and landings. No big height gains (400' ato max), even though the sky looked great. At around 3pm the C-breeze encroachment was visible to the west, and the wind switched around accordingly. We de-camped to the coast, but at the base of Mynydd Dinas, the wind was way too strong. Good to see Barrie A. out on the hill.

Offline Steve Jones

• Default Group
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 20:09:38 PM »
NYM.  5 May 18. Saturday
Initially went to Cwmafan with Dave as the breeze, though light, was S'ly. TO in a breeze which died away almost immediately and went straight down :(
Not wanting a sweaty walk-up to Talybont, 'plan B' was NYM. With very little wind there was no rush, but while having an ice-cream - cheers, Dave - at Andy Cap's corner (the old colloquial name for the layby near the access gate to NYM) a wing popped-up over the horizon. Arrived at TO at <2pm> to light conditions; with only Leroy managing to staying aloft, often 'cutting the grass' on each beat of the hill. After a few slope-landings, at 3pm, the wind increased enough to make soaring easier. It seemed like a typical C-breeze encroachment, but was not as harsh, or as cold ( ??? ), also the  thermic activity was not marred, with some at 4 m/s. There then followed an enjoyable time by about half-a-dozen or so pilots, climbing up to the 1,000' ato mark and boating around out in front. Someone even went XC to Fochriw. The air was still warm and flyable when we left at <4.30pm>. A very sunny and enjoyable day on the not-too-crowded hill. Unexpected really, as I thought that it would either be too light, or be blown-out by the springtime C breeze in the afternoon. An inversion layer was also evident, no doubt it will lower as the week progresses.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 18:17:46 PM by Steve Jones »

Offline Steve Jones

• Default Group
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 17:33:40 PM »
Cwmafan   5 Apr 2018. Thursday.

At last a flight worth blogging about :) Previous two flights:
25 Mar: Rhigos....Great day, condition-wise, but went to Rhigos and para-waited for 3 hrs with Dave S. with only about 20 mins of inconsistent flying time at ridge height - wrong hill perhaps. Great sun-tan.

1 Apr: Abernant...Flying, but not as we know it. 1 hr at just above ridge height, but much time scratching below.

Cwmafan today: Arrived at 11am-ish with Chris and met up with Nick & Viv already on site. With the wind forecast to increase later, wasted no time in getting airborne in the already flowing breeze. The window of opportunity was very short, as within 30 minutes of taking off, it became un-launchable for the late arrivals :( Spent the next 2+ hrs boating around the fresh (and cold) spring air. Great views of Mrs. Jones pegging out the washing at home and indeed Cwmafan. Chris left the hill after an hour, everyone else waited to see if the sky would improve. Clouds were sparse, but the thermic activity around the hill was fun to ride. At one point found a short 'screamer' of a thermal at 6 m/s for a few seconds before it petered out. Most of the time was spent at around the 1,000' ato mark, max-ing out at about 2,000' ato every now and again. By 1pm the breeze had noticeably increased. Mmmm...landing options: Viv got away with a nice touch-down behind the ridge. While Nick and I contemplated other options, Nick got sucked up to 3k ato and went yonder down-wind. The hill around the Foel was now an unfriendly place to attempt a landing, so bolted for the rugby/cricket pitch near Cefn-Saeson school a few kms away. With the aid of 'big-ears' (almost all the way to the ground), managed to get into the biggest field I could find........seriously bumpy low down :(  On packing up a figure appeared at the gate....I was about to make an excusable reason to be in the field (thought it was the farmer), when the figure turned out to be veteran paraglider pilot Lance Lewis. Thanks Lance, if your reading this, the retrieve was much appreciated. Great to be high above the countryside on a sunny spring-like day. Still a bit cold on the hands- wish I'd brought the battery for my heated -gloves.

It seems Viv and I are the only pilots 'bloggging' these days; most write 'flogs' which can be quite short :(  It would be great if others joined in (on the web site). Always good to hear stories from other pilots. Perhaps we should bring back 'Hot Air' magazine, lol.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:37:50 PM by Steve Jones »

Offline Steve Jones

• Default Group
SteveJ's flying diary 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 20:31:46 PM »
17 Feb 2018. Saturday.  Mynydd Dinas.

Arrived at TO at around 3:30pm and took off with Dave S. in a stiff breeze with gusts peaking at 19.9 mph; as a rule I never fly in anything stronger than 20, lol. The air was fairly lively near the hill with small and punchy thermals causing a few tucks here and there. Out in front it was smoother, but one had to get back to the hill to re-gain any height. A few birds in the circuit, including a falcon, buzzards, kestrels and the ubiquitous gulls. Spent an hour in the air with max. alt at 500' ato. Weather looked more showery inland. Nice to get one's feet off the ground again after a six-month period of non-flying through the winter. Landed in the freshly-mown playing fields below the hill, where a drome pilot was honing his skills. The air lower down, closer to the landing field, was also fairly turbulent/gnarly.
Had earlier gone to Rhossili where the wind seemed to be off to the SW and even more S'ly on the beach.   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 20:35:22 PM by Steve Jones »

Tags: