Author Topic: Viv's Blog 2018  (Read 346 times)

Offline Viv Birchgrove

• Default Group
Re: Viv's Blog 2018
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 22:28:32 PM »
17th MayThe Blorenge.  Glider still away for it's service, so am glad for the chance to ride tandem with NickR. Howling in the car park, we put layers on for a stroll out to check conditions, have lunch and join a pair of parawaiters from Bristol, watch as one launches to show us the hotspots, and after a couple of inflations we launch nicely and enjoy a good half hour of boating about the rim of the bowl with climbs and sinks on every beat, the Bristolian flew back to his car, the whole sky was ours alone to circle with each bleep from our varios, track the path of birds around us, gaining enough height to view Castle Meadows as a landing option, but sink before the power lines along the road. The building site where I landed a few years ago is now a thriving housing estate with a handy sports field right beside the road up. No need to climb any fences today! We edge past it hoping to reach the fields behind the houses but they have horses and sheep, so back we turn to the sports field for a sweet landing. I play on the swings while Nick trots back up for the car, and we savour a pint.
I may as well try to catch the wind - Donovan

Offline Viv Birchgrove

• Default Group
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 15:42:31 PM »
8th Apr. Heol Senni. Hilltop busy with parawaiters and students, we watch as they hurl themselves off for mostly top-to-bottoms in the light breeze. After lunch there is a gap on launch where I set up and groundhandle a bit, where Jared points out a flaw in my risers which I hadn't noticed. I see the boys staying up and gaining height, and push off the minute the sock rises,  head across the quarry and catch the updraft, turn out for a climb, sink and tickle back across launch and around the corner where others have caught a thermal, and after several beats touch down in the surprisingly dry and poo-free landing field. Later NickR confirms that the riser is damaged and I ought not fly 'til it's sorted. 10 mins.

Offline Viv Birchgrove

• Default Group
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 18:37:10 PM »
5th AprCwmafan.  Wind slightly off the hill, intermittently pulling the socks round, SteveJ and CD show the way and after a wrestle to get the wing spread in the stiff breeze Nick kindly slots my reserve pin and handle back in place with a handy piece of line which I keep in my flying jacket pocket for just such an occasion, so at the first lull the wing pops up nicely and I am away in 3 steps, bank round to hug the path and facing into wind I am catching bullets and with a few passes am as high as the others, NickR cruises up to outfly us all, I explore the valley more widely than ever before, top of the stack for a sweet moment, further round the far end at nice height, room for all to glide, takeoff is now too windy to land, the bottom field by the track is boggily green, try as I might I cannot land there so rocket back up and out, along and feeling pinned take courage to turn and sail off over the mast for my first XC! Not high enough as it turns out, but in the lee behind the trees I am glad to see the green soft surface meet me, less boggy and a short downhill walk to the car. 1.5 hrs aloft, glad I had my layers on!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 18:39:20 PM by Viv Birchgrove »

Offline Viv Birchgrove

• Default Group
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
25th Mar. Seven Sisters. A bit top end for me, I inflate at the start of a thermal tug and have a long drag across the twmps of moss, haul on the C+D lines to not much effect. Reserve handle pops loose which NickR kindly tucks back in, I reposition, wait for a lull and push off into a slight crosswind, edge along to the bowl where there is a blip of lift, scratch back but never gain height, the front of the slope has lots of young firs poking up, so with hardly any ground clearance I avoid the boggy field below, rise over the wall and land in front of the cliffs behind the cars. JonM and Nick get up and out for some epic flying, I drink tea in the increasing wind while Jon pulls ears to get down. Spot Nick cruising the Farteg, miles away. Collect the windsock and go for a drive round the valley on retrieve. 5 mins. Always good to be in radio contact.

Offline Viv Birchgrove

• Default Group
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »
24th Mar. Rhiw Wen. A few pilots on the hill making short forays in the light breeze, inflate and groundhandle, step out the minute it looks like the boys are staying up, follow the terrain back and up, push out over the steep cliffs and gain minimal height, waft back and fore, ever lower, the car park is within a glide, I cross the road and follow the ashphalt down several bends hoping for some heat from it. Touch down on a clear green space beside the road which turns out to be mossy bog, a soft green cushion. A long 10 minutes of low-flying, cloud increasing blocks the sun. Some lads stop to ask how easy it is to fly that thing, I reply it's so easy even a girl could do it, and they drive off. Luckily the next car to pass stops to give me a lift up the hill. Patches of snow linger but it feels like spring at last.

Offline Viv Birchgrove

• Default Group
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 14:01:32 PM »
22nd FebBryncaws. Another local site, farmyard awash with muck, Aaron and Gary are waiting to give NR and I a lift up from the bend, his vehicle makes short work of it and we set up in the cow pasture. It's top end for me and my lightweight kit, but I wait for a lull and launch only to land on the shelf below. Kite back up and go again, make it to the trees but too low, risk pushing out of the compression zone over the shoulder and sink inevitably into the boggy field below the track. Pack up and edge past the cows feeding on the track, and enjoy the outdoors while the others land shortly after. Too damp to groundhandle. 2 flights but only 5 mins airtime. The new dungheap will make a good trigger methinks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:33:00 AM by Viv Birchgrove »

Offline Viv Birchgrove

• Default Group
Viv's Blog 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 13:47:53 PM »
21st Feb. Abernant. First flights of the year. Glider dry and smooth after the winter lie down. Nasher and NR on hand for advice, shame I left the radio in the car. Birds indicating where the lift is, we all launch nicely and I have 20 mins up and down the ridge, staying close to avoid bombing out in the dump. Wind turbines across the valley all turning their faces towards us. I land and have a groundhandle, then go for another 15 mins until the wind switches round slightly northerly, and cold. Tea drunk, I go for 15 mins more and to my delight manage to gain enough height to push out over the dump and effect a little triangle, riding the intermittent bumps using the potato method, and feeling confident for the season ahead. As I land the reserve pin detatches itself, and by the time I get it back in the sun has dipped below the hill behind, the face is in shadow and the breeze died off. The sphagnum moss is heaped in mires all around for a lush carpet, leaving the harness bottom looking fresh and dung free.

Tags: