Author Topic: Margam airfield  (Read 4998 times)

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Club Member
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: Margam airfield
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 16:27:03 PM »
Thanks Steve,

I guess no restrictions apply to us flying XC from Graig Fawr as regards this airfield other then keep your eyes open. Hmm it seems I'm not being allowed to forget the events of my last XC, roll on next season.

Chris

Offline SteveJ

• SWWSC Sites Officer
  • Committee Officer
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 14:36:28 PM »
Hi Chris,  

It's already operational. Looking into it the '28-day rule' this concerns the use of the land and not the CAA as I earlier reported. Supposedly, you can use land for any purpose for up to 28-days ???  

Co-incidentally, a friend of mine who is building his own a/c (I give him a hand with the rivetting now & again) was talking to me in work about the airstrip; later on in the day we received a '999' call to... 'an aircraft reported too have crashed in fields close to the M4'. It was of course an a/c landing at the farm strip; the call being made by somebody travelling along the M4 who just saw the a/c disappearing behind some trees.....that rings a bell and  yes, there was a fire engine, ambulance & a few police cars !!! At present there are only 3 light a/c parked up at the strip, but there could be a possibility of car-trailered  microlights using the facility.  

The site is just a rollered piece of farmland with some a/c parked up alongside the hedge. There are plans to erect some 'temporary' hangers. ie planning permission will not be required.  

Apparently they're allowed to operate unless somebody puts in a complaint against its usage.  

Thanks for the Christmas greetings,  

Steve

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Club Member
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 14:42:18 PM »
Is this a new airfield Steve ?

Will it be on 2006 airmaps

what restrictions will apply for us when it's operative?

C U Saturday

Chris

Offline SteveJ

• SWWSC Sites Officer
  • Committee Officer
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Margam airfield
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 22:32:42 PM »
Just wanted to make you all aware that there is a small airfield in use in the Port Talbot area. It operates under the CAA 28-day rule ie. it's only allowed to operate for up to 28 days per year. It's location is at map ref. 170-808848 at Old Park Farm; just opposite the eastern entrance to Margam Park. Its away from most of our flying sites, but an XC from Graig Fawr might take you close to it.